Date:      Sun, 7 Dec 2003 12:45:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: possible compromise or just misreading logs

> Second, what are people using for intrusion detection?  This is something I
> have thought about but never really thought I needed until now.

No production environment should be without Tripwire (1.3 is my
favorite version).  With the right wrapper script
<http://www.roble.com/docs/twcheck>; and off-line backups it's
impossible to compromise a system without being detected.

Nothing beats the relief you'll feel when tripwire gives your system
a clean bill of health after after finding some suspicious logs.

--
Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting