Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2006 15:49:16 +0300
From:      Aleks <i.am.aleks@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-database@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 6.1 & Firebird

Hello!

Yesterday I tried several times to setup a Firebird Server on a
freshly installed FreeBSD 6.1 and connect to the example fdb via
network, but with no success.

Here is a transcript of what I do:

Standard installation.
Fdisk:
  Using entire disk (A option).
  Set bootable (S) the freebsd partition.
  Finish (Q).
Install a standard MBR (no boot manager).
Disklabel Editor:
  Auto defaults (A) used in Disklabel Editor.
  Finish (Q).
Choose Minimal distribution set.
Install from FreeBSD 6.1 CD disk1.
Congratulations! ...
Choose to configure Ethernet fxp0 (Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B).
  No IPv6.
  No DHCP.
  Host: firebird1
  Domain: iktiv.com
  IPv4 Gateway: 172.16.0.254
  Name server: 172.16.0.254
  IPv4 Address: 172.16.0.250
  Netmask: 255.255.255.0
  OK.
Bring up the fxp0 now.
Choose not to function as a gateway.
Choose to configure inetd.
Choose to enable inetd.
Choose not to invoke an editor on /etc/inetd.conf.
Choose not to enable SSH login.
Choose not to have anonymous FTP access.
Choose not to configure as an NFS server.
Choose not to configure as an NFS client.
Choose not to customize system console settings.
CMOS clock is set to UTC.
  Set time zone to EEST.
Choose to exit the install.

(Remove CD.)
(System boots up and I login as root.)

# pkg_add -r firebird-server
  (Fetches firebird-server and firebird-client.)
  (No errors.)
# echo "gds_db   3050/tcp   # InterBase Database Remote Protocol" >>
/etc/services
# echo "gds_db   stream   tcp   nowait   firebird
/usr/local/sbin/fb_inet_server   /usr/local/sbin/fb_inet_server" >>
/etc/inetd.conf
# /etc/rc.d/inetd restart
 Stopping inetd.
 Starting inetd.
# gsec
GSEC> display
  (Shows only SYSDBA, uid=0, gid=0.)
GSEC> quit
# isql
Use CONNECT or CREATE DATABASE to specify database
SQL> connect '/usr/local/share/examples/firebird/employee.fdb' user
'SYSDBA' password 'masterkey';
Database: '/usr/local/share/examples/firebird/employee.fdb', User: SYSDBA
SQL> quit;
# ping localhost
  (Successful.)
# sockstat | grep inetd
root   inetd   603   5   tcp4   *:3050   *:*
# telnet localhost gds_db
Trying ::1...
telnt: connect to address ::1: Connecion refused
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.iktiv.com.
Escape charactes is '^]'.
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.
# isql
Use CONNECT or CREATE DATABASE to specify database
SQL> connect 'localhost:/usr/local/share/examples/firebird/employee.fdb'
user 'SYSDBA' password 'masterkey';
Statement failed, SQLCODE =-902

I/O error for file "/usr/local/share/examples/employee.fdb"
-Error while trying to open file
-No such file or directory
SQL> quit;

So that's it. I can't find any useful documentation about how to setup
Firebird on FreeBSD 6.1.

Can anyone, please, suggest what might be the problem or to show a
working setup of FreeBSD 6.1 & Firebird so I could use it via the
network?

Thank you!

Aleks