Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 2003 18:26:04 -0400
From:      "The Jetman" <jetman516@hotmail.com>
To:        "FBSD IPFW" <freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org>
Subject:   [4.8-R]Monitoring IP Usage....

    Folks:  I've been using NTOP to monitor IP usage on a relatively small
(< a class-C net) network, which is serviced by a T-1.  I've been using
NTOP to track IP usage (per IP host), but even though it's operating on a
bridge box, it (ie. NTOP) isn't seeing all of the hosts in the net.  I *can*
see the traffic for these hosts w/ TCPDUMP.

    Until (and *if*) the problem w/ NTOP is solved, I was wondering if
there were any issues to using IPFW's pkt/byte count to satisfy the client's
IP usage requirements.

    My scheme would have a Python script do an 'ipfw -a list', parse
the contents, store the byte counts in a mySQL database, and zero out
the byte counters after a periodic scan of all of the IPs.  BTW, the
IPFW rules for ea host put explicit limits on each every IP that passes
thru the bridge.  All other IPs in this network, are explicitly blocked.

    How does this sound ?  Later....Jet

===============  From the desk of Jethro Wright, III  ================
+      Nothing causes self-delusion quite so readily as power.       =
===  jetman516@hotmail.com  =========================  Liu Binyan  ===