Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 14:54:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        fehr@idirect.com (Eric D. Fehr)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS mounting /home

Eric D. Fehr wrote,
> I am attempting to nfs mount the /home filesystem from a Network Appliance
> NFS server.
>
> Here is my problem:
>
> I can mount /home, and ssh into the box OK, but when I go to su to root, I
> just get the standard "Sorry" message, like it is not able to lookup the
> home directory for the root account.

The 'Sorry' message is when you get the password wrong. Are you using
the right root password? Logged into the client machine, su will
require the password of root on the client and not the server.

> /home/root is the home directory for
> the root account, and is a symlink to /root.

But you still might have a problem here. Which /root are you talking
about? The one on server or client? If /home/root is a symlink to
/root, you will get the /root directory on the _client_ when you login
on the client machine.

> Is their some quirk of su
> that does not allow home directories to be NFS mounted symlinks? (or
> symlinks from an NFS to local file system?)

"NFS mounted symlinks" is a loaded term. What exactly do you mean?
And what does su have to do with it?