Date:      Fri, 16 Dec 2016 17:17:52 -0700
From:      "@lbutlr" <kremels@kreme.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gettext Issues

> On 16 Dec 2016, at 00:22, @lbutlr <kremels@kreme.com> wrote:
>=20
>> 2014-11-30
>> Affects: users of devel/gettext (close to everyone)
>> Author: tijl@FreeBSD.org
>> Reason:=20
>>  The devel/gettext port has been split up in devel/gettext-runtime, a
>>  lightweight package containing runtime libraries, and =
devel/gettext-tools,
>>  a package containing developer tools.  The devel/gettext port still =
exists
>>  as a metaport.
>>=20
>>  You must first delete the existing installation of gettext and then
>>  reinstall it.  This will break sudo, so you *must* do this in a root
>>  shell (sudo -i) if you use sudo.
>=20
> I cannot imagine that gettext hasn't been updated on my system in over =
2 years, but I seem to be having an issue that appears to be related to =
this based on the errors.
>=20
> Shared object "libintl.so.8" not found, required by "bash"
>=20
> For example.
>=20
> I have logged into the console directly as the root user and tried to =
build gettext via portmaster of via make clean && make install but I get =
errors about missing files.
>=20
> pkg-static: Unable to access file =
/usr/ports/devel/gettext-runtime/work/stage/usr/local/include/autosprintf.=
h: No such file or directory
>=20
>=20
> I've tried to build gettext-runtime first, but to no avail.

To clarify, if I try to make gettext-runtime it ends with:

install  -m 0644 ABOUT-NLS =
'/usr/ports/devel/gettext-runtime/work/stage/usr/local/share/gettext'
=3D=3D=3D=3D> Compressing man pages (compress-man)
ls: =
/usr/ports/devel/gettext-runtime/work/stage/usr/local/info/autosprintf.inf=
o*: No such file or directory

And the error is correct, the file does not exist.