Date:      09 Sep 1997 12:46:15 -0500
From:      Don Croyle <croyle@gelemna.ft-wayne.in.us>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5 release, can it be postponed?

Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com> writes:

> User PPP works right... just "differently" than before. A specific
> reference to the different behaviour should be noted on the CD of course,
> but I think userland PPP is quite stable and working better than ever.

Yes it works, but there are a few features it would be nice to have
before it's unleashed on the world.  Like a way to explicitly bring up
the link when running in auto mode.

It often takes me two or three tries to connect to my ISP, by which
time a program that's attempting to open a socket has usually timed
out.

In the past, I've handled this by using invoking ppp interactively
when I'm present and using ppp -background for cron jobs.  Now I'm
forced to use ppp -auto and my cron jobs keep timing out. :-(
--
I've always wanted to be a dilettante, but I've never quite been ready
to make the commitment.