Date:      Sun, 03 Nov 2002 14:16:41 -0500
From:      Lee Nelson <jld123@pobox.com>
To:        JT32255@aol.com, Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why Use a Daemon as a Symbol since it alienates many?

 JT32255 has a point.

  It's clear that we're not going to change how people
react to the daemon logo.  So, if advocacy is a goal,
it makes sense to drop the daemon and come up with
something more palatable to the general public.

  But a larger audience for FreeBSD may actually
detract from its usefulness.  FreeBSD currently does
not suffer from the "kitchen sink" problem that Linux
has with its kerrnel.  And as a result we don't have
kernel patches for critical bugs every couple of weeks.

  Also, bringing FreeBSD to the masses would divert
effort away from it's current goals of stability and
correctness.  Just look at what Red Hat and Mandrake
have done to Linux.

  -Lee