Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 16:32:54 +0000
From:      Alan Clegg <abc@firehouse.net>
To:        bliss-s@excite.com
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advanced OS Questions only you can answer...

[moved to -chat]

Out of the ether, bliss-s@excite.com spewed forth the following bitstream:

> Why do people have to be so mean?

Nothing mean, just asking people to do your research for you is really
lame.

> My dad is not doing my homework.  I am.

At least you admit that you are asking for us (the community) to do your
homework instead of [as others have done] lying about it.  Homework requires
study, and what you are doing is not study, it is asking the people that
have already studied to answer very academic questions.

> I was hoping to receive some type of basic understanding of each question,
> then take those answers and try and understand the source code.  I know the
> answers are in the source code somewhere, but understanding it is hard.

The understanding comes from study, not someone telling you the answers.
Actually, if you just pick up a copy of Kirk's book (as someone else on
the list suggested), you will find (with a bit of research) the answers
you need.

> If you don't want to help out kids like myself, then just don't respond.  I
> have been researching this for a long time, and every road is a dead end.  I
> don't think it is fare in receiving an email like this.  You don't know how
> much work I've been putting into this.

Well, all I've seen so-far is that you have asked BSDi (assuming BSDi, as
you said "BSD") support for the answers [seemingly even willing to pay to
get answers] and you asked on the -hacker list.  That is not a lot of work.

Study is never a dead-end.  BTW, the word is "fair" not "fare", and if you
don't like the answers that you are getting, then consider that you may be
asking the wrong questions (or the wrong audience).

AlanC