Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:32:54 -0700
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   D-Link NIC Won't Talk To Bridge

I asked on -questions but was unable to resolve.  I'm hoping there's an
expert here that is willing and able to help.  :)

I'm trying to get a Linksys WET11 Wireless Ethernet Bridge
(http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=432&scid=36) working
with a D-Link 530TX+ NIC that uses the rl driver.  I have configured the
bridge and gotten it to work with a Windows XP box.  However I can not
get it working on my 4.8 FBSD gateway box.

I am trying to set things up so I can use my neighbor's Internet
connection as a backup link.  He has a Linksys Wireless Access
Point/Router in his home.  Instead of installing a
wireless card in my FBSD box, I bought the WET11 so I could install it
by a window to get a better signal.  The Linksys bridge connects via
ethernet cable to the NIC in my FBSD box.  Here's a diagram of the
setup:

         Internet

         Public IP

       ADSL Modem/Router
        192.168.10.1

            dc0
        192.168.10.2

         FBSD 4.8 --------- rl0
             |         192.168.100.2
            dc1              |
        192.168.1.2   192.168.100.225
             |         Wireless Bridge
        Internal LAN         |
                       192.168.100.1
                       Neighbor's AP

I have added the following to the beginning of my ipfw2 rules to verify
that traffic is going out the correct interface:

ipfw add allow log ip from any to any via rl0

When attempting a connection to anything on the 100 subnet, I see
entries like this in the firewall log:

Sep 29 14:58:05 blacksheep /kernel: ipfw: 50 Accept ICMP:8.0
192.168.100.2 192.168.100.1 out via rl0

Sep 29 14:43:47 blacksheep /kernel: ipfw: 50 Accept TCP
192.168.100.2:2626 192.168.100.225:80 out via rl0

However no response comes back.  I'm sure ipfw2 is not blocking return
packets because I log all denied packets.  I have also tried with all
ipfw2 rules flushed and have the same result.

There may be a clue in the arp tables.  After trying connections to the
100 subnet, I have entries like these in the arp tables:

? (192.168.100.1) at (incomplete) on rl0 [ethernet]
? (192.168.100.2) at 00:05:5d:d0:ba:67 on rl0 permanent [ethernet]
? (192.168.100.225) at (incomplete) on rl0 [ethernet]

So I thought maybe adding static entries to the arp table might help but
it did not.

Does anyone have any idea on what I need to do to get this working?  I'm
willing to read and learn but at this point I'm so stuck I don't know
where to turn next.

Thanks,

Drew