Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 05:54:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        tom@sdf.com
Cc:        blkirk@float.eli.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Bus redundancy...

(Redirected to -scsi)

 *   SCSI adapter rarely fail.

I've seen one that fried itself.  Adaptec 3940UW (the fried chip was
actually the PCI-PCI bridge).

 *   It is possible to have up to two host adapters per channel.

Yes.  We've tried it before, with a couple of patches from Justin
(since merged to the main source), we could get it to work.  (The same
single-ended controllers as above.)

 *   Someone the freebsd-scsi list is working on this.  Rather than a simple
 * backup design, he is working on simultanous use of both host adapters at
 * the same time, by two separate computers.  The two systems communicate to
 * make sure they don't step on each others toes when accessing the disks.
 * The idea is to make a fully fault-tolerant cluster.

We're working on something similar, although not as extensible as what
you described.  The plan is to have all disks mounted read-only from
both systems during normal operation.  When there is a write, it first
gets unmounted from one machine before it gets written on the other.

Note we haven't actually done anything about this (except making sure
both systems boot and we can at least get disks to work if we only
mount it from one system at a time).

Satoshi