Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 22:10:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
To:        Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>
Cc:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some new ports broken on 4.0REL

Hi,

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Robert Withrow wrote:

> nbm@mithrandr.moria.org said:
> :- He means: "Did you cvsup ports-base?"
>
> Answer: no.
>
> Question:  Where does it say that cvsup is the only "authorized" way to
> use the ports collection.
> Answer: No where.

CVSup is the way to update your ports collection, not use it.  If you use
it to update the ports tree then you need to update ports/Mk as well - you
do that w/ ports-base.  There are only 2 other ways to update your ports
tree:

	- grab the entire new ports tarball and unpack it
	- update only the ports you want

If you do the former, ports/Mk is taken care of.  If you do the latter
than you need to also grab ports/Mk.

> Please, all of you, go and read *your* web page.  I specifically
> direct your attention to this passage:

>   "These are FreeBSD packages; please use pkg_add to install them.
>   That should enable you to use all the ports listed here."

> That words "should enable you to use all the ports listed here" seems
> like pretty plain English, doesn't it?

I assume you mean the upgrade packages.  If there isn't one there yet, try
being patient.  You clearly weren't patient in waiting to grab the latest
version of libtool.

> P.S.:  I certainly *hope* it isn't the case that you *require* the use
> of cvsup, since that is the *last* think I want to do.  In fact, since
> the typical user probably uses at most a dozen of the ports, or so, I
> think any time spent updating the thousands of unused and unwanted
> ports is an enormous waste of time and resources.

If you don't want all of the "hassle" of the ports tree and keeping it
updated, then use packages. If you don't want that then learn how to make
a cvsup refuse file.  If neither of those satisfy you then compile each
piece of software you want by hand.

> Instead, I think the ports system should start off with just the
> infrastructure: the INDEX, the Mk directory (and maybe the Templates
> directory) and individual ports should be pulled from the distribution
> sites (or the cdrom) using something like pib or portcheckout.  These
> tools should also provide a means for updating the INDEX file and for
> updating individual ports.  Neither of these tools (and no tools that
> I am aware of) do all of this.

submit patches then - this is a volunteer effort.

Brett
Dr. Brett Taylor         brett@peloton.runet.edu    *
Dept of Chem and Physics			    *
Curie 39A	(540) 831-6147                      *
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics		    *
Walker 234	(540) 831-5410			    *