Date:      Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:00:48 GMT
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sparc64/72731: sparc64, 5.3-BETA7, "host" command doesn't work

The following reply was made to PR sparc64/72731; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To: Blechinger Robert <rblechinger@exbb.de>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:50:17 -0400

 On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 12:02:31PM +0000, Blechinger Robert wrote:
 > the command "host" doesn't work. ALL lookups ends in failure.
 > even if you specify an external nameserver.
 > nameresoltion of other system commands are working fine ( netstat, who, nslookup, arp )
 >
 > on 5.2.1 there was no problem. this problem occoured after upgrading to 5.3beta AND updating time_t to 64bits. i followed excatly what is written in  /usr/src/UPDATING.64BTT
 >
 > i upgraded severaltimes to newest beta number, and also cleaned the whole source tree an rebuild multiple times "world, kernel"
 >
 > Here a short part of CLI:
 > rblechinger@nuntius:~>host www.google.de.
 > Host not found, try again.
 > rblechinger@nuntius:~>host www.google.de. 83.120.1.2
 > Using domain server 83.120.1.2:

 It's working fine for me on machines that have been upgraded in a
 manner like you describe.

 Are you sure you're using the system's version of the host command?
 Can you check by doing 'which host' to make sure it's not a version
 that got installed as part of a port please?  It should say "/usr/bin/host".

 --
 						Ken Smith
 - From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu