Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 1996 18:12:14 +0200
From:      Kai Vorma <vode@snakemail.hut.fi>
To:        ache@astral.msk.su
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sup server at nic.funet.fi

 > Could you please update it at least 3 times? Due to interference
 > with sleep period I forced to wait much more than 12h for
 > next update :-(

Mirroring freefall too often generates heavy load because of the sup
protocol. I think I could arrange things so that -stable is mirrored
once a day and -current more often, but just now I don't have to time
to do anything (the whole supping system at nic needs some minor
modifications).

Our (FUNET - the Finnish University Network) lines to USA are quite
good (8MB to Stockholm and from there a shared 24MB + 4 MB to USA) so
supping at day times makes sense (just now (16:00 GMT) ftp transfer
speed from ftp.cdrom.com was 50 KB/s :-)

Btw, I don't think that rotating sup servers using name server is a
good idea, because every sup server has different set of file ctimes
and sup would update (not receive, though) every file every time the
server changes..

..vode