Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 12:25:32 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
To:        ru@ucb.crimea.ua
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tagged queueing and write cache on WDE SCSI drives

Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua> wrote:
>I have tested all four combinations for Tagged Queueing (TQ) and
>Write Cache option (WC).

Tagged Queueing is only relevant where a device has a number of
outstanding I/O requests.  Since your test is single-threaded,
it doesn't test TQ.

For a realistic TQ test, you need to have a substantial number
of processes performing I/O - unfortunately, I don't know of
any suitable benchmark.  The `seeker' part of bonnie would be
the closest.  An alternative would be to run a lot of dd's
(maybe 20) in parallel.

>WC	TQ	MB/s
>=======	=======	====
>OFF	OFF	3.9
>OFF	ON	4.2
>ON	OFF	7.9
>ON	ON	4.2

I would expect that enabling WC would improve write speed (which is
what dd is testing).  I'm surprised by the impact of TQ: Since this is
a single-threaded test, it should have negligible impact.  It almost
looks like something is wrong with the TQ handling in the driver,
controller or drive.

Peter