Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 14:22:32 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Bernie Doehner <bad@uhf.wireless.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Bernie Doehner <bad@ece.WPI.EDU>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, buaas@wireless.net
Subject:   Re: Documentation of 2.2.5-RELEASE and 3.0 memory protection?

> [...]
> > > if_ed driver (some cards use shared memory, but in the ISA hole of
> > > A0000-100000), to the Digiboard driver (which I thought uses shared
> > > memory, but BELOW A0000).
> >
> > I don't understand you here - drivers are *inside* the kernel, and
> > behave completely differently to user-mode programs.
>
> > Are you writing a driver, or a user-mode program?  This is a critical
> > difference.
>
> Using used too loose a definition. Our stuff is ALL user-mode programs
> currently and it appears to work (with one program using monochrome range
> for shared-memory, and the other using ISA hole memory)

User-mode applications cannot access memory in the ISA hole without
using mmap() to obtain such a mapping, either agains /dev/mem or some
other device.  One may alternatively open /dev/mem or /dev/kmem and
read/write to achieve the same result.

A driver is a kernel component, linked into the kernel.  A user-mode
program runs as a process with user priviledges.

> But we'd like to understand the kernel mechanisms better so that we can
> move/some of it into the kernel and turn it into real device drivers.

The ISA hole is mapped into the kernel's address space; drivers such as
if_ed's use of memory in this range are good examples of how to locate
and work with this mapping.  See also how syscons accesses the video
framebuffer.