Date:      Sat, 6 Dec 1997 21:48:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Stephen Hocking <shocking@mailbox.uq.edu.au>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Oddity with netscape and current

On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Stephen Hocking wrote:

> > Also from the archives, adding this:
> >
> >   export XCMSDB; XCMSDB=/dev/null
> >
> > to the netscape startup script solved hang-on-start problem for

[snip]

> 	This appears to have done the trick. Nutscrape had been working fine
> for me for ages though, which is why I was a little puzzled about it starting
> to mess up after a src update.

For the record, the problem which this solves/works-around exists
in FreeBSD-2.2.5/XFree86-3.3.1 as well as (I gather) current (and
what version of X?). I'm using a 16 bit display and have not
tried it on 8 or 24.  The reports on what works with what
combinations of FreeBSD, Netscape, and X11 have been rather
inconsistent--some curious methods of suppressing the symptoms
have been discovered but does anyone have a clue about the
problem?

-john