Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 14:53:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Robert D. Keys" <bsdbob@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
To:        tnadeau@lucidvision.com (Tom Nadeau)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: spam on freebsd list

> 	Anyone out there know why spam is being sent around
> on the FreeBSD mailing list? I count at least 3 since I
> signed up on the list yesterday. If this continues, I
> will get off the list and just search the digests.

Yeah, I am getting hit by it too.  Sounds like time to do some
root mail to the offending machine(s).  I have gotten a dozen
or so dishes of spam over the past few weeks.  If it reaches
a real critical mass, something should be done.

I have always wondered.....

   How many emailed uuencoded fs dumps of returned spam would it
   take to fill an offending machine's var fs to slow it down?

   If everyone replied with a biggie dump of returned spam I am
   sure they would get the message?

   Let's see, a script to dish up a fs full of returned spam,
   uuencoded for clarity in transmission, split into 1 meg
   chunks for mailing, mailed in triplicate to assure message
   reception..... times several hundred irate folks....

   That might do it.....

   nah, too easy.....

RDK