Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 22:21:39 -0800
From:      erk! <tapeworm@insekta.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002 23:58:04 -0500
"Mike Stacy" <mstacy@angstrom.net> wrote:

> I'm new to FreeBSD, what I'm trying to do is install the latest
> version of FreeBSD onto my box using my dsl line which is networked
> through my WinXP box(DHCP). Now when I'm installing I say DHCP : YES
> in Options, then after everything else is set I go into Installation
> Media, select FTP , then I select the server ftp.freebsd.org, then it
> wants to know where my dsl line is that's the  part I can't figure
> out, can someone tell me what to do>>..........

when you start the install, don't select 'standard install' first.
scroll down to 'configure', and under that menu should be one called
'networking'.  from there, it's pretty straightforward.  it will first
ask you if you want to configure things via ipv6..select 'no' on that
one, at which point it will ask if you want to detect settings via DHCP.
select 'yes' on that, and you're good to go.

it actually won't matter whether or not your main line is through your
winxp box.  freebsd will detect settings via dhcp regardless of whether
or not it's there.

- erk