Date:      Thu, 4 Sep 1997 13:25:37 -0600
From:      "Daniel I. Bauer" <danib@esus.cs.montana.edu>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   modem not detected

I am using FreeBSD 2.2.2-Release.

During boot, my modem is not detected.  In Windows 95 my modem is seen on Com port 3 at address 0x3e8.  Interrupt 5 is used.

I have tried using the -c arguement at boot, entering the above information in, but this did not work.  In the kernal file I took out the keyword 'disable' for sio2 and during boot it is still not found.

My modem is a Plug-and-Play CPI ViVa CommCenter 33.6 voice/speakerphone/fax modem.

sio0 and sio1 are found, but they are just the serial ports on the back of the computer.

How can I get FreeBSD to recognize my modem?  Does Plug-and-Play confuse FreeBSD?  Is this modem not supported?  It has a 16550an uart (Windows 95 says this under diagnostics --> more info).

	Thanks in Advance,

	Dan Bauer