Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 15:55:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        paulz@trantor.xs4all.nl (Paul van der Zwan)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slow seq. write on Seagate ST36530N

Paul van der Zwan wrote...

> > > I am having some performance problems on my -current ( update last weekend)
> > > I hooked up a new Seagate ST36530N yesterday ( connected to an Adaptec 2940U)
> > Andreas Klemm has had similar trouble, as he pointed out.
> > Can you check and see whether or not you have write caching turned on for
> > your disk?  I have seen problems with sequential writes that appear to be
> > caused by conflicts between FreeBSD's caching policy and disk caching
> > policies.  These problems often go away when you disable write caching on a
> > disk.
> >
> > The Write Cache Enable (WCE) bit is in mode page 8.  To check it:
> >
> > camcontrol modepage -n da -u 1 -v -m 8
> >
> > To edit the mode page:
> >
> > camcontrol modepage -n da -u 1 -v -m 8 -e
> >
> > Let me know whether that affects the problem at all.
>
> This did not improve anything , but I think I have found the couse.
> In that modepage there is a DISC value which was 0 on the IBM and 1 on the
> Seagate. I remembered a ' Enable disconnect' option in the Adaptec 2940  bios,
> setting this to 'off' for both harddisks led to a huge performance increase on
> the Seagate. If I also enable Ultra mode iozone write goes from 1.5 MB/s
> to 12 MB/s ( a factor of 8 !!!).

The 'DISC' bit in mode page 8 has nothing to do with disconnection.  Here's
the description of it from the SCSI-3 spec:

The discontinuity (DISC) bit, when one, requests that the device server
continue the pre-fetch across time discontinuities, such as across
cylinders (or tracks in an embedded servo device), up to the limits of the
buffer, or segment, space available for the pre-fetch. When zero, the DISC
requests that pre-fetches be truncated (or wrapped) at time discontinuities.