Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:34:46 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Mikeluis <phj@mail.transfar.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pid148@moon:/host,What is it?

In the last episode (Apr 20), Mikeluis said:
> Would you tell me what the meaning of it?
>
> $ df
> Filesystem        1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/wd0s1a          127023    21662    95200    19%    /
> procfs                    4        4        0   100%    /proc
> pid148@moon:/host         0        0        0   100%    /host

That's amd; the automounter daemon.  It lets you mount other Unix boxes
by simply doing a "cd /host/othermachine"; amd will automatically
determine the available remote filesystems and mount them for you, and
dismount them when you stop using them.

You can disable it in /etc/rc.conf if you don't like it.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com