Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 17:24:45 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, nate@sri.MT.net, chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The lawn-mower story

> > He also suggests that as part of your commitment to the partnership,
> > that you either mow the lawn in its entirety, or you don't mow it
> > at all, to save your wife the frustration of not knowing that, once
> > you have started mowing, you will have finished mowing in a reasonable
> > period of time.
>
> All of these 'commitments' are in place already, but aren't being
> followed.  The problem is that they *aren't* followed, not that they
> aren't in place.  How to you enforce the unfollowed policies?

Well, there are two errors here, then: yours, for not finishing,
and your wive's, for not waiting for you to finish to go clipping.

The simplest way to enforce unfollowed policies is to specifically
absolve your wife of any blame for your clipped-but-not-mowed lawn
looking silly, if the policy allows her to clip before you're done
mowing.

A better way would be to make the clipping a dependent function
of mowing the lawn as part of the protocol, and not only not expect
your wife to clip the lawn before you are done mowing, but to decide
that clipping is only OK after mowing.

> I'm not following up my end, and people still drive by my house and look
> at my lawn.  I can't stop that (and really shouldn't since I live in a
> 'free-lawn' neighberhood where lawns are all freely viewed by one
> another. :)

Well, what if there is a neighbor (John Locke? 8-)) who is willing
to stand in front of your house if you tell him you are going to mow,
and won't budge until you tell him you are done mowing (it's up to
you to not lie to him; he only stands in the front, he doesn't
look at the back).

When people drive by, he waves his hands frantically an screams "Don't
look at the lawn!  Don't look at the lawn!" to keep people from being
offended.  Luckily, in your neighborhood, this is enough to satisfy
the covenants that are attached to your deed regarding upkeep of
your lawn, which you signed when you volunteered to live in the
neighborhood.  8-).

Now, if there is only one of these guys living on a block, and there
are several people who want to mow their lawns (including Al, who
threw four touchdowns in a single game, and never went to college,
and whose wrist is bigger around than your neck), then we can
probably trust peer-pressure to make you finish mowing in a reasonable
time, letting John go stand and scream in front of Al's house.

At the very least, John is loud enough that everyone knows where he
is at all times, so they can ding your doorbell incessantly until
you get up from the NBA finals and come to some agreement on how
long you are going to hold onto John.

As a favor, John is willing to tell your wife "it's OK to clip now"
(mostly because he loves saying "it's OK to clip now" almost as
much as he loves shouting "resistance is useless!") after you tell
him you are done mowing.  This lets her mutter "it's ABOUT TIME"
at John instead of you (hurray! the marriage is saved 8-)).

> > ....it will take a commitment on your
> > part and your wife's part to keep the happy cocker-spaniels of the
> > world happy (even if it does nothing for their bladder control).
>
> Yep, but having a committment was never the problem.  Keeping the
> committment in the face of adversity is the problem.

Peer pressure, pure and simple.  Plus, you look like an idiot, what
with John expiring on your lawn after a week or so of hand-waving
with no food or water.  Much worse than if your lawn just looked
silly.  8-).

> (And BTW, it's Jenny the yellow-lab puppy whose now 11 weeks old :)

Good... I don't much like cocker-spaniels.  On the other hand, labs
are pretty large, to get sucked into mowers, and they generally don't
fit through dog-doors, so I guess it's a trade-off.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.