Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 16:19:23 -0700 (MST)
From:      Ryan Mooney <ryan@pcslink.com>
To:        andrew@kohtz.com (Andy Kohtz)
Cc:        carol@tinker.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: usernames longer than 8 characters

> Carol,
>
> 	On FreeBSD 3.1-Release, where the system is able to handle up
> to 16 characters for the username, is qpopper able to use larger than 8
> without the pop virtuser patch mentioned below?

Risking stepping in on people here :)

Yes.  In fact I was running a (statically linked) version I compiled on BSDI
for about a year that supported long user names (that and my statically
linked radiusd saved my butt when I switched from bsdi to fbsd :), of course
I had to manually edit the passwd file (vipw) to change those users which
sucked.  The limitation is in the getpwent() call not the popper daemon.
Go to 3.1-RELEASE :)

> 	I actually intend to use the virtusertable for this system.  AIMS
> has so many problems with it, and no real support for virtual hosts.
> Which brings me to a new question, if I may be so bold.  I have
> only setup sendmail on my second favorite OS, Solaris.  Is the 'hash'
> method any different than the 'dbm' format that I'm used to setting up on
> Solaris?  If so, are there any suggestions or warnings before I dive in?

Not really, you just call makemap with a different option (hash instead
of dbm).  Oh and you have to make sure your sendmail.cf file references
hash instead of dbm (like: Kvirthost hash /etc/sendmail/virthost or
whatever).  The M4 macro's allow you to specify the type like:
  FEATURE(`virtusertable', `hash /etc/virtusertable')dnl

(Don't ask me about M4 I currently just edit the .cf file, I'll do M4 at the
"next big upgrade"(TM) now that most of the features I need are standard, the
rest I'll turn into macro's - but I ain't done it yet :).

Ryan Mooney           Phone (602)265-9188         PCSLink
ryan@pcslink.com                            Internet Services
 NT is an excellent choice for managers who need to show that they used
 up their fiscal year budget for hardware/software expenditures.