Date:      Sat, 29 Jul 1995 11:29:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        junkmail@pht.com (Brad Midgley)
Cc:        gary@palmer.demon.co.uk, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.0.5-950622-SNAP on a big machine

> > If the card worked fine with a previous release of FreeBSD let us assume
> > for the time being we do not have a bt946 hardware problem and let us
> > not touch that piece of hardware for fear of introducing an unknown into
> > the equation.
>
> unfortunately, there is a new thing in the equation.

:-(, okay, we need to treat it as such then.

> The smc net card
> wouldn't work, so I popped it out, put in a 3com, and now it works.  The
> system is running now so I don't dare to poke it.  We've been running
> about 24 hours with only one (intentional) reboot so it would see the high
> 32m (yay)

:-)

> > Check that you have the IRQ of the ed0 device assigned to the ISA bus
> > in the PCI P-n-P configuration menu of the BIOS setup for you machine.
>
> yes, both the 3com and smc I had set to irq5, which is reserved for isa in
> pnp.  As long as the 3com code is pretty solid now, I'm happy to leave it.
> I think it's time to just cross my fingers.

Good.

> some asides:
>
> we do have an a2940w, but the external connector on it isn't the standard
> "mini-50" it looks more like a "mini-68".  Do you know if I can just get
> an adapter cable for my external (non-wide) chain?

Not sure, depends on if the aha2940W allows you to terminate just the
upper 8 bits of the external bus.  If it does allow that you can get a
SCSI-III 68 pin to SCSI-II 50 pin cable and do this.  If the board does
not allow you to terminate the upper 8 bits your stuck.

> do scsi devices on a second controller just show up as [r]sd7-[r]sd13??

By default they will show up at sd(n+1) where n is the last scsi disk on
the first controller.  See ``man 4 sd'' for how to hardwire down sd unit
numbers.

> (ie, same major device number, just incrementing the minor number?) How
> does the machine decide which controller is first?

First one probed, depends on config file ordering.

> where can I find documentation on /sbin/dset and the kernel -q option?

There is no man pages for these, read the src :-(.