Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2000 16:47:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: cvs commit: src/sys/kern kern_timeout.c

On 18-Nov-00 John Baldwin wrote:

>> jhb         2000/11/17 16:21:01 PST
>>
>>   Modified files:
>>     sys/kern             kern_timeout.c
>>   Log:
>>   Release sched_lock very briefly to give interrupts a chance to fire if we
>>   are in softclock() for a long time.  The old code already did an
>>   splx()/slphigh() pair here, I just missed adding in the equivalent mutex
>>   operations on sched_lock earlier.
>
> Before this I could get processes to hang (the box was still up, but one
> process was stuck, tying up its pty) though the box was still fine (I could
> login and do stuff) if I ran a buildworld -j X where X > 1.  With this I
> built
> a kernel with -j 8 and am currently chugging through a -j 64 world.

Grrrr.  Spoke too soon. :(  It took longer, but I have one hung process (though
the rest of the buildworld is still chugging along).  I notice the problem
because I have one sh process that has been a zombie for a way too long.  It's
parent is a make doing a make cleandir, and the parent is in SSLEEP on
"pipewr".  I notice that when the kernel tsleep()'s with "pipewr", it does a
tsleep() with PCATCH, so I am betting that there it is still related to the
CURSIG() stuff in msleep().  Since this doesn't happen very often, I'm guessing
that this comes about when a process is switched out because it blocked on
Giant.