Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 1997 09:44:21 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        "Serge A. Babkin" <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su>
Cc:        khetan@iafrica.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SATAN under FreeBSD

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Serge A. Babkin wrote:

> > On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> >
> > >	The instructions talk about going to SATAN Target Selection as a
> > >starting point, so I click on that and it gives me a 'SAVE AS...' box,
> > >saves the .pl file and then goes back to the main menu...
> >
> > Using Netscape, right ?
> >
> > Use Chimera (it's in the ports).
> > Not the world's greatest browser, but it works for Satan.
> >

> Or just set in the options that the .pl suffix means a HTML file.
> It worked great for me. The only problem is that I found
> absolutely no usefulness in SATAN. The "holes" it reported
> about were so idiotic.

	Any useful resources that I can look through on how to debug
things?  For instance, one of the machines at the office is an old
Altos machine running 'Sendmail 5.59/Altos-2.0 ready'...I'd like to be
able to test that one for any holes.

	As for SATAN...you are right, the hosts I used it against all
reported no vulnerabilities, yet I know we've been having some breakin
problems :(

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org