Date:      Mon, 4 Sep 2017 15:25:18 +0100
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs, iSCSI and volmode=dev

> I have an iSCSI production system that exports a large number of zvols
> as the iSCSI targets. System is running FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p7 and
> initially all of the zvols were confugured with default volmode. I've
> read that it's recommended to use them in dev mode, so the system isn't
> bothered with all of these geom structures, so I've switched all of the
> zvols to dev mode, then I exported/imported the pools back.
> Surprisingly, the performance has fallen down like 10 times (200-300
> Mbits/sec against 3-4 Gbits/sec previously). After observing for 5
> minutes the ESXes trying to boot up, and doing this extremely slowly, I
> switched the volmode back to default, then again exported/imported the
> pools. The performance went back to normal.

I too ghave a number of zvols exportes as iscsi, and I was using dev
mode util I read this. AM going to experiment with switching back to
default mode to see what happens. I also use dev mode for my virtualbox
drives. Am going to try and test that too and see what I get.

Interesting result though...

-pete.