Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 2002 02:15:37 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Lawrence Mayer dsg <Lawrence.Mayer@dsg.ki.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How to scroll through several screens of text ?

Hi,

Could you please help me with answers to the following questions?

I have hunted unsuccessfully through the Handbook and FAQ for answers.
Please forgive me if I've missed them. Also, I imagine you've gotten these
questions many times before on this list.

All of the following questions revolve around the same problem. I often
use commands such as ls or pkg_info which produce several screens worth of
text. By definition, the text scrolls off the screen. When the screen
output is finished, I hit "scroll lock" and use the arrow keys to go
backward and read text that scrolled off screen.

The problem with this method is that the screen output is often larger
than the screen buffer, in which case I can't scroll back far enough to
see the beginning of the screen output.

Another problem: I have not been able to get "scroll lock" to work at all
with xterm or rxvt.

So far, the only way I have found around these problems is to save the
output of ls , pkg_info, etc into a file (e.g. ls > foo), which I can then
examine at my leisure with a text editor.

1. Is there a way to make FreeBSD output no more than n lines to the
screen at a time, and wait for a "return" before outputing the next n
lines to the screen? (That way, I could adjust n to be slightly less than
the number of lines on my screen and could read each screen at my leisure
instead of having them fly past much too fast too read.)

2. What if I'm using a terminal emulator like xterm or rxvt? Any way to do
(1) above?

3. Is there any way to increase the size of FreeBSD's screen buffer?

4. If so, will this method work if I'm using a terminal emulator like
xterm or rxvt?

Friendly Greetings,
Lawrence Mayer <lawmay@ki.se>
Ume=E5, Sweden