Date:      27 Feb 1997 18:31:18 +0100
From:      Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java binary support in FreeBSD ...

>> On Thu, 27 Feb 1997 07:41:53 -0500 (EST), Mark Mayo
>> <mark@quickweb.com> said:

    >> in the KERNEL itself, but something like what LInux does, ie
    >> you echo the paths of the java executer and appletview into
    >> /proc/sys/kernel/java-interpreter and ../applet-viewer, and
    >> everytime a java binary is run, it runs the appropriate program
    >> with the right arguements, and there is your nice java binary
    >> running. :)

    MM> Why bother??? It's not so hard to type 'java Class'......  I
    MM> like my users to be aware that they are running through an
    MM> interpreter, and that there are command line options to the
    MM> interpreter.

I don't think it is so strange. There are also shell scripts that are
automatically executed by /bin/sh. It would be very nice either to
type 'sh' in front of every shell script.

Since it is impossible to put #!/usr/local/bin/java at the first line
of a java "binary" (because it is a binary file) this addition would
be quite neat. Especially when Java apps will become more common it is
a must I think.

--
Peter Mutsaers  |  Abcoude (Utrecht), |  Trust is a good quality
plm@xs4all.nl   |  the Netherlands    |  for other people to have