Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 2020 01:48:21 +0100
From:      tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [WORKAROUND] Re: odd issue affecting firefox (any version) on freebsd (any version)

--fUYQa+Pmc3FrFX/N

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 07:21:42PM +0100, tech-lists wrote:
>Hi,
>
>This is a really odd problem which I haven't a clue how to debug.
>
>I use fastmail.com for my email. Sometimes, I'll want to use a web browser
>(firefox in this instance) to look at mail via their webmail. I have, amon=
gst
>other machines, my main desktop machine running 12-stable/kf5/plasma.
>
>If I use firefox at the site to compose email, I can compose it but when I=
 try
>to send it I get "sending failed" and this is real, the mail is not sent. =
If I
>run firefox (same version) from an ubuntu machine, I *can* send mail.
>
>If I run iridium on the desktop machine and do the same thing, I *can* send
>email.
>
>I have tried this from a pristine freebsd-current vm as well. I get the sa=
me
>result as I do from my freebsd-desktop. That machine, as it's a vm, does n=
ot
>run a DE.
>
>fastmail support haven't a clue about this issue, not that I'd expect them=
>in this instance as it's far outside of their support remit.
>
>So why can I not use *specifically freebsd firefox* to send email from
>fastmail.com's webmail? How can I debug this? Is it a headers thing?

It seems the problem was being caused by Firefox on freebsd giving
fastmail a fractional time-zone offset causing them to
generate an invalid offset in the JSON fastmail was sending to the server. =
Because
of this the server was rejecting the message resulting in the "Send Failed"=
=2E=20

Fastmail have worked around this issue and made a change that converts the
offset to a whole number, and now firefox (freebsd) works. But this, to me,
looks like a freebsd firefox problem and not directly a Fastmail one really.
So i'll raise a PR in ports

To reproduce, open a javascript console and enter=20
new Date().getTimezoneOffset()
and ctrl-enter and it should produce a whole number as output. Firefox on my
freebsd desktop outputs -59.55. My timezone is set Europe/London.

For comparison, iridium on the same system shows -60 and firefox on Linux M=
int
18 gives 0. Firefox installed from official freebsd pkg repos running a very
recent -current shows the same as my 12.1 desktop - -59.55

So it does seem to be firefox on freebsd and only freebsd and it doesn't
matter if it's 12.1-stable or current. I have not tried firefox-esr, i'll do
that next. The firefox on the current vm is vanilla, no addons at all are
installed.
>--=20
>J.

--=20