Date:      12 Feb 2001 20:40:04 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        "Peter C. Lai" <sirmoo@cowbert.2y.net>
Cc:        "Chris Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>, "Dominic Marks" <dominic_marks@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Secure Servers (SMTP, POP3, FTP)

"Peter C. Lai" <sirmoo@cowbert.2y.net> writes:
> the bottom line is, comb through the code, find a flaw, make an exploit, go
> to Mr. Bernstein with the documentation, and claim your <insert current
> assigned monetary value> prize. isn't that what "auditing" is all about?

No.

1) Mr Bernstein has also threatened to sue anyone who dared claim that
   his code was insecure. Not the best of incentives.

2) Take it from one who has actually needed to make non-trivial
   modifications to qmail: the code is very hard to read (if not
   unreadable), and in one case I found it easier to just rewrite the
   entire program than try to figure out how Bernstein's version was
   put together. Unreadable code is not easily unauditable.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org