Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 20:35:54 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        sos@sos.freebsd.dk (Søren Schmidt)
Cc:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk, rickl@ic.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: possible sc0 problem

> BLAME JORDAN !!! :) :)
>
> He's the one that wanted the left ALT key to behave like META, ie it
> prepends an ESC to the key pressed (for EMACS fanatics)....

Meta is supposed to set bit 8 on the characters hit with it set.
Otherwise we would lose the historical significance of "buckey-bits",
a great loss to mankind.

Yes, this conflicts with International character sets.  Emacs predates
Internationalization.  Fix Emacs, if it upsets you.  Or use only English
or 7 bit National Replaement Character Sets in it, as the original
designers intended.  8-) 8-).

Really, Emacs should be smart enough to determine the Alt key state on
its own, if it wants that binding for the key.  Probably it should use
"scan code mode" on the console, and many Wyse terminals that support it
(like the Wyse 60) so it can assign meaning to key-down/key-up events
as much or as little as it wants.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---