Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:15:04 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Lister <freebsd-lists@lister.dnsalias.net>
To:        Hiten Pandya <hiten@angelica.unixdaemons.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gethostbyname_r() fbsd equiv?

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Hiten Pandya wrote:
>Doesnt getaddrinfo() do whatever gethostbyname() can do?  And also, if
>my source of information is correct, getaddrinfo() should be thread-safe
>and also, it is under the POSIX p1003.1g.

Generally speaking, yes. Actually, POSIX 1003.1g doesn't require thread
safety, but RFC 2553 does. Unfortunately FreeBSD doesn't currently have a
thread safe implementation, and so gethostbyname is sadly a better choice
if you need thread safety. (I think this is the only platform I've come
across where this is the case)

Ian