Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 1996 04:37:30 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, phk@critter.tfs.com
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: COMCONSOLE speed

>> Back to the subject: Bruce, wouldn't it be a good idea to only handle
>> the comconsole speed in the bootstrap, and pass the settings down to
>> the kernel via the `struct bootinfo'?

They should be passed if they can be set there.  There is no room to set
set them there :-).  Changing the speed after booting is useful too.
Note that there are 2 different sets of console i/o routines: the normal
system call ones and the kernel printf ones.  Ordinary sttys work on
the normal ones but have no effect on the printf ones.  The printf ones
can be changed by setting `comdefaultrate' using a debugger.

>We have a suggestion in too for passing the port/irq/iomem for the
>ethernetcard netboot used as well.

This is more important iff it is required for booting.  Why can't
you just put the values in the kernel image?

Bruce