Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 1999 10:08:25 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Thomas Runge <runge@rostock.zgdv.de>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tele-/videotext

Thomas

> These days I found a piece of software called "alevt", which
> is a C-based teletext decoder (using /dev/vbi).

Currently getting VBI working is a bit of a hastle
1) you need to open /dev/vbi0 BEFORE you start FXTV
2) you need to start FXTV and enlarge it so it goes into Interlaced Mode
   (moving objects then get jaggy edges)

Both of these issues are fixable, but I have not got the time to do it
right
now.

Also, check the number of Scan Lines the program is expecting.
Linux recently switched from 16 to 19 lines of VBI captured per frame.
The application may be hard coded to the wrong thing.

> So, my question is, if someone already got it to work. I really
> prefer a single fast program for viewing teletext, instead of
> running vbidecode and a slow java application.

Well, there is a Fast C program called 'videotext' which views the .vtx
files
too. It can also print and Save as Gif and do background searches of all
the
saved teletext pages. Infact it is excellent.
Both 'vbidecode' and 'videotext' are now in the ports collection in the
'misc'
directory.

Warning - videotext goes really slow on KDE 1.0 (not tried a newer KDE)
and uses 50% CPU time.

But under standard X11 with no special window manager, it is fast and
uses
2-3% CPU which is what is should be doing.
Weird.

> But this configuration does work and I like to thank Roger for
> his great work! :-)
> When we will ever meet, I'll contribute a sixpack of beer!

Thanks. Glad to be appreciated.

Bye
Roger