Date:      Mon, 27 Feb 1995 22:46:22 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        lashley@netcom.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: Ctrl-<space> under console

As patl@asimov.lashley.slip.netcom.com wrote:

> |>  What do you want Ctrl-<space> to generate ??
>
> Traditionally, emacs expects it to produce a NUL.  (It is -much- easier
> to type than CTRL-SHIFT-@ when you want to do a set-mark-command.)

It's not only emacs, it's just tradition (any DEC terminal does it
this way).  I think syscons doesn't try emulating DEC, hence it's not
the standard there.  As far as i understood syscons keympas, it should
be fairly easy to modify the keymap for this, however.

Since we are at the subject, i'm always being bothered by this $%&@ing
^H cruft generated by the backspace key.

Is there anyone out there who is REALLY HOT to continue this?  (Except
that i know it's SCO style.)  Or can we just go back to the BSD
tradition of having this key generate DEL?

Our half of the world simply expects the DEL key, and it's evil to
always need an stty command.  (No, don't tell me that i can use
***control to change this -- i'm speaking of things like boot disks
and single-user shells here.)

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/