Date:      Sun, 7 Dec 1997 14:42:04 +1100
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oddity with netscape and current

On Sat, Dec 06, 1997 at 09:48:19PM -0500, John Fieber wrote:
>On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Stephen Hocking wrote:
>
>> > Also from the archives, adding this:
>> >
>> >   export XCMSDB; XCMSDB=/dev/null
>> >
>> > to the netscape startup script solved hang-on-start problem for
>
>[snip]
>
>> 	This appears to have done the trick. Nutscrape had been working fine
>> for me for ages though, which is why I was a little puzzled about it starting
>> to mess up after a src update.
>
>For the record, the problem which this solves/works-around exists
>in FreeBSD-2.2.5/XFree86-3.3.1 as well as (I gather) current (and
>what version of X?). I'm using a 16 bit display and have not
>tried it on 8 or 24.  The reports on what works with what
>combinations of FreeBSD, Netscape, and X11 have been rather
>inconsistent--some curious methods of suppressing the symptoms
>have been discovered but does anyone have a clue about the
>problem?

I don't see it with FreeBSD-2.2.2/XFree86-3.3.1, netscape 4.04 (I'm
currently running at 16bpp).  Given the XCMSDB solution, is it possible
that those who see this have a file called Xcms.txt installed in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11?  That file was distributed with some earlier XFree86
releases (which turned out to be a bad idea), and some people might have
still have it around.

David