Date:      Thu, 22 May 97 10:30:22 +0200
From:      garyj@frt.dec.com
To:        Eliezer Rodriguez Gonzalez <elie@intranet.one.gov.cu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A question concerning a networking issue. (fwd)

elie@intranet.one.gov.cu writes:
[snip]

> But it happens that all these tests achieved confused me a lot.
> So here you are the quetions I'm asking now:
> Why although the NIC features a PCI bus, when emulating NE2000 etc the
> system "sees" the card as an ISA device and not as a PCI ?
>
> Does it means that althoug it is inserted in a PCI slot it is no using
> the 32 bits bandwith of the bus when transferring data to the PC ?

[snip]

I answered this when it first appeared and the reply bounced.

do a ``boot -v'' and you'll probably find that the card is found
but not recognized. Look at /sys/pci/if_ed_p.c and you'll see a
list of known card IDs. Add your card to that list.

Just because the probe reports that the card was found on the ISA
bus doesn't mean that you're not getting the full PCI preformance.
The driver can't tell where the card really is, it's the motherboard
hardware that knows to use the PCI bus.

BTW the real driver is /sys/i386/isa/if_ed.c anyway.

---
Gary Jennejohn				(work) gjennejohn@frt.dec.com
					(home) Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de
					(play) gj@freebsd.org