Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:00:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Philip Hallstrom <philip@adhesivemedia.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Windows 2000 co-existing with FreeBSD?

Hi -
	(I've searched the lists and found nothing so here goes...)

I've dual booted before with win98/freebsd without problems, but win2k
seems a bit different...  I've got a 10GB drive with 2GB and 8GB
partitions (in that order).  I installed win2k on the 8GB part (it also
installed some files on the 2GB part -- ntldr, etc...).   I did it this
way to avoid the 8GB boundary.

According to win2k everything I do is on "D:".

Today I decided to try installing FreeBSD... so I put in the boot disks
and re-typed the partition, wrote it, installed the boot manager.  Then I
quit cause I needed to get back into windows for work (*sigh*) and
couldn't.  the boot manager didn't see anything but the FreeBSD partition.

Well, after mucking around a lot I got rid of the boot partitition, but
still no windows 2000.  I finally booted the CD in rescue mode and
formatted C: (2GB) and copied over the handful of files it needed.  Now
win2k boots.

Anyway, a kind of scary experience :)

So... can someone tell me how to get the two to co-exist?  And is it going
to even be possible to do it this way or am I going to need to put win2k
first, then freebsd?  Also, once I do this, win2k will think it's on
"C:" won't it?  What all will that mess up since it now thinks it's on
"D:"?

Thanks!

-philip