Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 2004 16:10:16 -0500
From:      Michael Stassen <Michael.Stassen@verizon.net>
To:        Ricardo David Martins <ricardo.martins@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fatal error: Can't open privilege tables: File '/usr/local/share/mysql/charsets/?.conf' not found (Errcode: 2)

Have you run mysql_install_db yet?

Have you read the freebsd platform notes
<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/FreeBSD.html>; and the post-install
instructions <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Post-installation.html>?  If
not, I'd suggest starting there.

If that doesn't help, write back with some more details, such as:  Is this
your first attempt to start the server after install?  When you say, "the
binary freebsd package," which do you mean, one of the two from mysql.com,
or the packages from freebsd.org?  You mention configuration.  What, if any,
configuration have you done?  (Mysql ought to start fine with default settings.)

Michael