Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 2015 21:55:52 +0100
From:      Jan Beich <jbeich@vfemail.net>
To:        Bob Melson <melson.r@att.net>
Cc:        gecko@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: compiling Firefox/Seamonkey/Thunderbird

--=-=-=

Bob Melson <melson.r@att.net> writes:

> /usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-43.0.1/config/recurse.mk:32:
> recipe for target 'compile' failed
> gmake[3]: *** [compile] Error 2
> gmake[3]: Leaving directory
[...]

Please, post a full build log or one with DISABLE_MAKE_JOBS defined.
The actual error message is lost among other jobs that built fine.

moz.build and Makefile errors are rare, so the culprit line can often be
found by searching for "error:" (without quotes) emitted by the compiler.
The line before may indicate the command that failed.

> gmake: *** [build] Error 2

ports/200853 is unrelated. That error only happens during configure, not
build stage.

> My question, then, is what must I do to successfully compile any one
> or all of these applications?

Try using portmaster or portupgrade to build ports. It does the right
thing by upgrading dependencies first. Otherwise, debugging one's build
environment can be done via poudriere: set up a matching jail with the
same release/architecture as the host then slowly copy bits until the
port(s) breaks.

Alternatively, try comparing with logs from the package cluster. Looking
at the selected options, passed configure and compiler flags, etc. may
give you a few hints.

http://beefy2.nyi.freebsd.org/data/93amd64-default/404493/logs/firefox-43.0.1_1,1.log
http://beefy2.nyi.freebsd.org/build.html?mastername=93amd64-default&build=404493

--=-=-=