Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 1998 06:06:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        hamellr@qcsn.com (Rick Hamell)
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bouncing Email (fwd)

Rick Hamell wrote:

> > Okay, what do you really mean (or what does it mean) by 'bouncing email'.
> > What goes on?  Anyone know?
>
> 	Bouncing E-mail, simplified Process...
>

> 1. Sender contacts recpient via normal Internet transfer protocols.
> 2. Sender sends E-mail. If E-mail address is invalid, (i.e. user name
> spelled wrong) it 'bounces' back as an invalid address.
>
> Where the problem comes in, is that the way E-mail and the Internet is
> setup, E-mail messages are sent repeatedly any where from 4 hours to 5-6
> days. This process itself is very intensive on the mail server. BTW, this

	grr......in sendmail v.8 (what freebsd uses, as well as many
	if not most of the internet) you can reconfigure it to be
	more or less resource intensive.

	please do not blame either sendmail or its behavior for the
	configuration that you are running.   you are free to
	set the rate at which you will accept mail
	set the rate at which you will attempt to deliver mail
	how long you will wait before bouncing mail
	from whom you will accept mail
	for whom you will relay mail
	and many other options

	please blame AOL for harboring spammers and others

jmb