Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 22:42:30 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        randy@psg.com, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: apparently FreeBSD-specific DNS failure

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000 sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:

> If you *really* want to open that can of worms, have a look at
> draft-oscarsson-i18ndns-00.txt:

OK, but to sum up (and kill) this thread:  The '_' character in domain
names is:

  legal in RFC 1033
  not legal in RFC 1035
  not legal in RFC 1123
  legal in RFC 2181
  legal in draft-oscarsson-i18ndns-00

However, according to RFC 2400 which names the documents which are
currently standard, required, recommended, elective, proposed, or just
drafts, only RFC 1123 is required.

  RFC 1033 is not even mentioned
  RFC 1035 is recommended
  RFC 2181 is elective
  draft-oscarsson-i18ndns-00 is a new draft this year, (not mentioned)

I, too, hope that the papers written by Randy Bush, Dan Oscarsson and
others will someday (soon!) become required internet standards.  I tip
my hat (if I had one) off to them.

However, I think we can very safely say that (at least on August 7th,
2000) the '_' character is not a "legal" character in a domain name.

(This is actually a FAQ from comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains, so I
apologize for stating the already stated.)

-Paul.