Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 20:55:03 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-connect.net>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, missmanp@milo.cfw.com, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP in FreeBSD 3.x.x

>:-) was that aroud 30 processors is where scalability will fall off.  We
>used Dynix + Oracle for O/S application model.  Processor was Pentium.  If
>I remember correctly, the P6-200 has worse instructions/memory/IO bandwidth
>ratios than Pentiums-66 does.  That led to the conclusion that we will not
>grow beyond 30 either.  I will not go into what the initial P7 was supposed

   This contradicts a paper that was given at a recent Usenix-sponsored
conference that shows that the amount of main memory traffic in P6 systems
is *dramatically* reduced over Pentium systems. I forget the exact ratio,
but it is something like 1/5th. This is entirely due to the superior cache
architecture of the P6.

-DG

David Greenman