Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 18:35:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panics with 4GB on an IBM xSeries 330

] We have a 4GB IBM xSeries 330 (1GHz PIII) and I can't get 4.3-RELEASE to
] boot on it. I did set NKPT to 64 as suggested by DG about a week ago on
] this list (this is also the reason I take this to -hackers rather than
] -questions). Still, I get
] panic: swap_pager_swap_init: swap_zone=NULL
] when booting (both the modified kernel and GENERIC behave the same). An
] identical machine with 1GB works like a champ. Anything else other than
] NKPT I should set?

Personally, I think NKPT is a red herring.  I am running several
4G machines with the default of 32, and have not had problems
(any problems will be automatically fixed for you by grow_kernel()).

You aren't changing the KVA space tuning, are you?  There are
some really magic off-by-one numbers in the bowels of the VM
startup on x86 processors.

By default, the kernel is mapped into a 4G page as part of the
startup; I have notices on some SMP borads (notably, Tyan Tiger
LE's with v1.4 and 1.5 AMI BIOS) that the use of 4G pages will
survive what is supposed to be a TLB shootdown.  This was
especially problematic with two or more processors in the box.

In theory, you could fix this by reloading CR3, but the kernel
also sets the PG_G (global) bit on the 4M page, so it's a bit
of a problem (invltlb doesn't work right, IMO; under SMP, it
uses a rendesvous, which seems to me to have a race condition).

The easiest thing to do is to:

options        DISABLE_PSE

Which may help you out of your current mess.

If not, set "kern.maxfiles=120000" at the boot prompt, and
if it works for you, add it to the loader.conf.  This really
sucks, because it eats memory for sockets, TCP connections, UDP
connections, etc., all proportional to the maxfiles...

Other than that... good luck.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---