Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 1999 23:37:08 -0500
From:      "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
To:        Alex <ak@freenet.co.uk>
Cc:        Phil Regnauld <regnauld@ftf.net>, "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>, Darren Wiebe <dkwiebe@heartland.ab.ca>, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VMware on FreeBSD (Full Screen)

On Wed, Dec 08, 1999 at 02:07:40AM +0000, Alex wrote:
> OK - just for the record - full-screen works!
What X server you are use?

> Currently in graphics modes only, until something is done to make
> FreeBSD consoles aware of Linux-compatible ioctl's that VMware uses to
> switch into a text mode.
New vmware port created symlinks in the linux /dev directory. So
anybody can try to launch vmware in fullscreen mode.
For me it doesn't work when I'm switching to full screen mode, the monitor
going black and all.  With some manipulation with ALT-FXX keys, I can return
back to the X, but vmware already died.
May be it's depend from X server, I use XF86-Mach64.

[ skipped ]
> 2) Full-screen mode
>
> If the guest OS is in graphics mode, VMware uses DGA extensions of the X
> server to go full screen.  If the resolution used by the OS is less than
> that of the X server, it centers it in the middle of the screen.   For a
> true full-screen effect, the guest OS must use the same resolution (and
> colour depth) as X.
Anybody know native FreeBSD application, which use DGA extensions?
But at the begin session vmware checking DGA capability, and don't
complain about it.

> If the guest OS is in text mode (e.g. 80x25), VMware tries to use the
> following trick:  initialize the next available console (tty8) to use
> the same text mode as the guest OS.   This part is Linux-specific and
> doesn't work under FreeBSD.  It doesn't even work under Linux if the
> kernel is compiled with framebuffer support.   Hopefully, the missing
> ioctl's shouldn't be hard to implement, but I don't have a Linux box
> handy to give it a go.
Yes, I have Linux box, and vmware working fine on it (with the same
kind of X server).

> So far, I have been able to run Solaris 7, Corel Linux and Windows 98
> under VMware/FreeBSD.   VMware.com has some drivers for Windows, Linux
> and FreeBSD to enable them to run inside VMware at higher resolutions
> than standard VGA (nothing for Solaris).  Windows looks really cool in
> full-screen mode (1024x768 on my laptop); it's almost impossible to tell
> the difference between a VM session and the real thing, except that
> under VMware it freezes for a few seconds every now and again,
> apparently due to lack of /dev/rtc.
May be not, vmmon driver have a select/poll method. But I don't understand
what the event waited on it, so now it's always return 'no events'.

> VMware actually displayed a
> warning about /dev/rtc and that it only seems to affect Windoze systems.
>
> Now for vmnet...   Vladimir?
Already did. Try a new port, it also have a many other improvements.

--
Vladimir Silyaev