Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 1995 10:27:19 -0800
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@geli.com>
To:        dufault@hda.com, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: SMP work

|From: "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
|Subject: Re: SMP work
|To: dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault)
|Date: Sat, 18 Mar 1995 14:06:04 -0800 (PST)
|Cc: hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
|

|> Rodney W. Grimes writes:
|> >
|> > [CC: trimmed]
|
|> (Intel licenced Alliant's Concurrency Control Unit for future
|> generations of the i860 - yeah, right.  Are they continuing that
|> with their "merchant" MP?)

Are you referring to the unisys project?  My understanding was that
was a pentium project, not i860.

|I have no idea what they did with the i860 and Alliants stuff, so
|I can not say if they are continuing that.  Somehow I doubt it
|very much since the iX60 group is over in the SuperComputer division,
|which is more like a seperate company.

Intel SSD sells "MP" nodes with 2 i860s, and by all accounts it works
fine under OS1/AD.  But some codes I've benchmarked in support of
a proposal show that 2 P590 cpus (running FreeBSD :) are roughly equal
to 8 MP nodes.  If you think about the economics and price/performance
a little bit, one starts to be a wee bit astounded.  (There's a lot
more to it, but the upshot is that these are production
USAF codes that run on Paragons daily).

Anyway, I'm real interested in the dual cpu stuff, it would be a pretty
neat thing to have, though we'd have to see whether it could be made
efficient enough to make sense.  Is there not much interest in a simple
master/slave kernel with dual run queues.?  That would
work very well for parallel numerical algorithms, and I believe it's
the way the Paragon is run.  The book by Schimmel makes it look not all
that hard, easy to say from the bleachers, I guess.

Russell

|--