Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 1999 13:52:11 +0200
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: new sigset_t and upgrading: a proposal

Andrew Reilly wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 12:13:32PM +0200, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > The problem
> > -----------
> > When doing a make world, tools are being built that are used by the
> > build process. This is to make sure that the tools are appropriate for
> > doing a make world. The problem we now face is that the sigset_t change
> > causes this to break. The tools that are being built use new syscalls
> > not present in a kernel. Not only that, the new tools expect a different
> > sigframe in general.
>
> As far as I can see, if this is the case, then this is the only
> problem.  The tools built for a buildworld are tools that have
> to run on the _current_ platform, whatever that might be, with
> the new platform as a target.

Yep.

> Therefore, they should be build
> against the existing system include files and libraries, and so
> should run on the existing system.

This requires porting. If it only was that simple...

> (b) You build a new kernel before you do the install-world,
> reboot, and then installworld.

This is the same as building a new kernel before doing make world.

> I can't see any bennefit at all to (a), or any problem with (b).

(b) is far too complex.

> That said, I don't mind your idea of extending the stable
> kernel, but that is still really just a sneaky way of getting
> the user to build and install a kernel that supports the new API
> before they try to installworld.  Isn't it?

Yep, only "marketed" a bit better :-)

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases           http://www.scc.nl/