Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 1996 19:28:12 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Robert Eckardt <roberte@mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To:        d.b.dews@camel.com (D B Dews)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new and dumb 2

> Thanks to all for your help with previous question. I found
> /etc/sysconfig, and learned vi sufficiently to edit it a bit, but where
> in this file do I place the DNS  (as called in DOS/NT land, don't know
> what you call it.) The domain name server  IP address? I set it up
> thusly in Netconfig Section:
>
> hostname=asa386-20.camel.com [name of machine BSD is on]
> defaultdomainname=camel.com [my domain name]

Are you using NIS/YP ?
defaultdomainname is NOT the DNS domainname.

> tcp_extensions=YES
> weak..etc=NO
> network_interfaces="ep0" [there was an lo0 in there but it kept coming
> up [with a 10Base2 address which messed everything up...my system is
> [10BaseT...so I deleted it]
> ifconfig_ep0="inet 204.251.34.195 netmask 255.255.255.224" [inet is the
> [IP of the BSD box, netmask is my ISP-assigned netmask]
>
> I chose "NO" for gateway and all else, router=routed. Anyone tell me
> where the DNS value should go?

It's in /etc/resolv.conf.
The simplest form is:
   domain      camel.com
   nameserver  <IP# of your DNS>

Robert

--
Robert Eckardt                \\ FreeBSD -- solutions for a large universe.(tm)
RobertE@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de \\       What do you want to boot tomorrow ?(tm)