Date:      Fri, 6 Jun 1997 17:15:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sequence predictability (fwd)

<<On Fri, 06 Jun 1997 12:09:35 -0700 (PDT), Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net> said:

> Good Idea.  /dev/rand, setup properly produces very good results.

It's also far too slow.

If I had a working kernel debugger at the moment (it's sick from
version skew at the moment) or BPF (it's in use by something else) I
could document precisely how the ISS changes.  In the current design,
it is incremented by a random amount which averages to approximately
the old rate.

-GAWollman